Ginataang Tulingan (Skipjack Tuna Cooked in Coconut Milk)

It took me a lot of courage to cook our tonight's dish. Ginataang tulingan is quite an easy recipe, however upon hearing my mom-in-law's warning that some tulingan (skipjack tuna) has been rumoured to be poisonous or might caused an allergic reaction to skin, I was a bit sceptic if I should cook it or not.

I have already cleaned and marinated it overnight so not to waste my effort and craving for this dish, I still ask one of our flatmates if she had heard anything about how to properly clean this fish. Luckily, she shared some points since she frequently cook tulingan for other recipes. And one of the very basic points she said is that, always buy a fresh fish… He he he of course! She also said that her mom used to suggest to twist-off the tail of tulingan to remove the poisonous part. Some says that cutting-off the tail will remove the poisonous part as well. She also added that she had tried eating it even with the tail but she haven’t had any allergies or has not been poisoned. However, to be on a safe side, I cut-off the tail… =D

I used to eat Ginataang Tulingan, since it was my mom’s regular dish on her menu to sell from our home (lutong bahay). But because I never helped in the kitchen, I never really know how to clean that fish… Honestly, I don’t really know anything in the kitchen except to wash the plates and cook rice when I was in the Philippines…. =D    I love Ginataang Tulingan especially if it has been done as adobo prior making it as ginataan. So expect the same recipe below …. =D






Ingredients:
  • 1 piece Tulingan (Skipjack Tuna) - cleaned and cut diagonally
  • 2 tbs garlic, minced
  • 1 1/2 thumb size ginger, minced
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1 medium size onion (half minced, other half sliced in thin round shape)
  • 1 cup coconut milk
  • 1 whole green chilli (siling labuyo)
  • 4 tbs lemon juice
  • salt
  • ground black pepper
  • oil
Procedure:
  1. Remove gills and innards of tulingan. Using scissors cut fins and tail. Wash fish thoroughly drain and slice diagonally.
  2. Marinate the fish with lemon juice and soy sauce for at least 30 minutes.
  3. In a pot with oil, sautee garlic, onion, ginger and chilli.
  4. Put the tulingan with its marinating mixture.
  5. Let it simmer in medium-low fire for 10-15 minutes or until the marinating mixture dries-up.
  6. Add oil to lightly fry the fish.
  7. Pour 1 cup coconut milk.
  8. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
  9. Cover and simmer in a medium heat for 10 minutes to thicken coconut milk.
  10. Garnish with round-sliced onions and cook for another minute.
  11. Serve and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are highly appreciated!